Wednesday, September 13, 2006

The Abbey of Gethsamane - September 1-3rd, 2006.


During Labor Day weekend, our Beeson crew went to Gethsamane, a catholic trappist monestary in Kentucky (south of Louisville) for a silent retreat. Here there are signs that say, "Silence is spoken here". You could talk outside in the countryside or in one of the talking dining rooms. It was a beautiful setting for this unusual experience. The purpose of the retreat was to get away to be with God and rest.


I must admit the setting made me a little giddy. Often I found myself laughing (outside of course) because of how uncomfortable I felt. It was a reverent place with about 40 monks who dedicate their life to God.

These monks have seven worship services a day. They begin at 3:15am, 5:30am, 7:30am, 11:45am, 2:30pm, 5pm and 7:30pm. They stand in the "pews" below facing each other, wearing robes. They sing the Psalms through every two weeks, repeating it over and over again. Many of the older monks know the scriptures by heart.

This monestary is famous because Thomas Merton lived and wrote here. He is buried outside of the church just like the other monks. Many protestants like his writings.

They had a statue garden that was a nice walk. This is Mary, Jesus Mother. They definately hold Mary up to divine figure and pray to her. Brother Chrsitian referred to her as God's spouse. This is very uncomfortable for us as Protestant Christians.

The garden went into this area modeled after the garden of Gethsamane. Here is a statue of the disciples (Peter, James and John) who went with Jesus but fell asleep while he was praying.

Just a stone's throw away is this moving statue of Jesus crying out to God asking him to take this cup from him. Yet he did God's will not his will.

If you are wondering if I got up to worship at 3;15am. No I decided to pass. I attended many of the services and found them meaningful. There is no way I could be a monk though. I respect them and there is many things I can learn from them but no way I could join them. You can find out more about them at www.monks.org. They sell fruitcake and fudge that is out of this world.







No comments: