Thursday, January 18, 2007

American Idol Reaction

If you are like me, you enjoy watching the American Idol shows, especially in the beginning of the season because you see the good singers and the bad. It cracks me up when people want to get noticed and on purpose sing bad or dress funky to get noticed. I'm sure there is a screeening system just to get the chance for an interview. THey surely take the truly good and the truly bad to make sure they both get exposed.

The past two nights episodes have bothered me because some of the people there are like deers in the headlights and are innocent. Meanwhile when Randy or Simon critique them, they are brutal and show no mercy. I wonder how 16+ year old kids can take that hit to their psyche? I am 36 and think I would have trouble. Last night in particular Kate commented that a few of those kids it looked they they would be suicidal. Instead of reacting with anger, some just took it and I could see how those comments could wound them for sure, let alone injure them for years or perhaps a lifetime. While some hard critiques need to be given, they need to have mercy on poor, seemingly defenseless characters.

No comments: