Thursday, January 15, 2015

Thursday Thoughts

Well, I haven't given up my commitment yet.  If you missed it, check out the last post but I am endeavoring to write weekly to become more reflective.  I have some random thoughts at the bottom to share but must begin with this ...

If you heard my sermon this past sermon, you heard the story of our comforter.  In case you missed it, for Christmas Kate and I used some of the money we got to buy ourselves a new comforter for our bed. We have looked the past couple months but to no avail. Then the day after Christmas we found one we really liked.  It was white, hotel style, good material.  We brought it home and our bed felt great.  

Well the end of last week, one of the dogs puked on it.  Yes, on the new white comforter.  Kate got the spot out and washed it.  Apparently though, during the washing, something happened I still don't understand. Apparently because it was so big, on the top front of the nice new comforter, there was a spot that melted some and made several large brown spots on the comforter.  

When Kate told me about it, I was just finishing up my sermon for that Sunday on being grateful for what you have and don't have. not get caught up in what doesn't matter.  I must say my initial reaction was not as serene as I would have hoped but soon after I was ok and fine. Its just material right?

So the rest of the story ...

This week I spent time working on those spots but no luck. I washed them hard by hand. Instead of taking a risk with the dryer, I thought I'd let it air dry.  It was very thick so it took a couple days.  Today I got home a little early and decided to put it back on our bed.  Pierson helped me.  I turned it over to the other side and it looked nice. 

Over the course of an hour we ate some, did some wash, cleaned and I was going to get the laptop, sit on my side of the bed and type this blog.  Yet, can you believe this.  Just at the spot where I lay, it was wet.  I wondered what it might be. I bent down to see and found it to be pee. 
Seriously?  Pee?  The dog peed on my bed, through the comforter, and the sheets. Fortunately, we have something to protect the bed.  Needless to say, I was not happy. I took it off, washed it by hand and now it is air drying, Kate graciously made the bed.  I seriously wonder what this comforter did to deserve this.  

Random Thoughts
- Congrats to Ohio State on winning the National Title.  I think of my ohio friends from Lima (Bryan Bucker and Jen Shope) and am happy for you.  
- It's been a good week.  Enjoyed leading the guys group at Hillbilly cabin (for my non-morristown friends, yes, there is such a place), leading bible study at Laurelwood Apts and the men's bible study we started at church last week. Not only did the bible studies have more people than last time, i really enjoyed leading and teaching it. I had prepared but just went with flow. Interestingly, even though we covered the same material, both were very different lessons because of the makeup of the groups.  
- We are studying Phillippians in those studies and I had a thought while I was leading it I never had before. Paul wrote that letter in prison.  He probably wondered outloud at God why he was allowing him to be in prison. But did you know, if Paul didn't go to prison, In addition to the spread of the gospel being advanced, we might not have 1/2 the New Testament we have today.  Amazing reminder that God has a larger plan we cannot see.
- This weekend is a full one. I'm looking forward to joining the youth at Resurrection Friday night in Gatlinburg as well as joining the other 48 folks at Rez Kids Saturday, Sunday and Monday.  PJ and Anna also have their second week of Upward.  

Have a great weekend yourself!

Straining Forward to what is Ahead,
Scott 

No comments: