Thursday, January 08, 2015

Thursday Thoughts

The Blog is Back!!!  Yes, it is 2015 and I have decided to re-engage the blog.  Why?  I'm glad you asked.  It all begins with an experience in the shower ... 

On November 2nd, I was in the shower after some time reading that morning and this verse came to mind from Philippians 3:13, "This one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead."  I don't know about you but sometimes I can remember the stuff I want to forget and forget the things I want to remember.  I can also let life happen to me and not direct my life the way I want it to go.  I decided to think about how I can apply this verse to my life.  How can I strain forward to what is ahead? 

This past Sunday I preached on this subject and used this as an illustration. 


 

There are 52 balls in there representing a each week of the year.  This year will go fast.  Time is short.  The tragedy of life is not that it is short; it's that it's wasted.  I don't want to waste my time, let life happen to me.  I want to take advantage of each day God gives me. 

I challenged folks Sunday to decide things they need to let go of and what are some things they are to lean into in 2015.  I knew I was going to preach this sermon for about a month but still didn't know what exactly what straining forward would look like for me.  This is what I decided on: 
 
Straining Forward In 2015 
 
1) Be More Relational - I am a do-er.  I make lists.  I like to get things done.  Sometimes I can miss life as a result.  Therefore, I am going to make more time to chat, to visit, to call, etc. 

2) Read More - I have about 10 books next to my bed to read.  I want to work through them. I will read my Bible more.  I will make more time to read and be stimulated.  In fact, I actually read a small book the other night in bed. That was good progress. 

3) Write Weekly - I like to write but don't do it nearly enough. I speak more than I write.  I want to have more time to think and be reflective in life.  I plan on writing on Thursdays so I invite you to come back. 

These are my three things to strain ahead toward.  I invite you to join me in this journey this year.  Today is January 8th. Only 357 days to go this year. Make the most of your days!



No comments: