Thursday, April 12, 2007

I'm officially back! Sites of Korea

Sorry for the delay in posting. Until Two Days ago, I felt like I wasn't yet back on American Time. It was almost two weeks from being in my own bed and it was wearing on me. The past two nights I slept through the night and now I'm feeling more back in the swing of things.

I wanted to post some pictures from Korea and describe some of what I saw. These are some of the sight of Seoul as we drove on the bus. Remember, some of these were created for the Olympic games they had there.



They had Dominoes, Krispy Kreme, KFC, and other american resturants in Korea. They are a very Westernized city.





This is the view from near the retreat center where we stayed at. It was about 1 1/2 hours from the Kwanglim church which hosted us. It reminded me of East Tennessee with the smoky mountains.


This is the retreat center where we stayed. They have groups here regularly for special meetings.


This is where Gordon and I stayed at in the retreat house. It was like a small hotel room. We even had little house shoes. Too bad my feet were too big.


On our first day, we went to Kwanglim church. This is a coffee bar they have. We broke up in groups of three with a associate pastor and a translator to meet in homes with members and participate in cell group meetings. These pastors work hard. They do about 40 home visits a week. These home visits usually involve a sermon, singing songs, collecting a tithe, etc. They work about 12 -14 hours a day and work 6 days a week with only Monday off.

This is Pastor Kim. He is a former Beeson Pastor. His dad led the church to its growth from the 1960's on. He took over as Senior pastor seven years ago. They make all the arrangements for us. Pastor Kim is a strong preacher who seeks to honor his Father, Bishop Kim for all of the growth of the church.

Pastor Kim detailed for us his father's ministry and where the church will be going in the future. Interestingly the church is having trouble reaching young people as they become more Americanized or Westernized.


Pastor Kim paid for our trip to of all places in Korea, Bennigans. Apparently they were concerned that we enjoy American food. Considering we had KFC earlier that day, I was a little disappointed and looking forward to Korean food.


We spent MUCH time on this bus. It is a bus the church owns for various functions. Routinely we were on the bus for 3-4 hours a day, at least. Seoul takes a while to drive places and our lodging was not central to the church.

Brian often was at the back of the bus asking us to bow down to him. By the end of the weekend I hope to upload the majority of my trip. Enjoy for now.

No comments: