Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Yoido and Going Home

One of the things we guys did while we were there is get fitted for a taylor made suit. They measured us, we picked out the fabric and they made and delivered the suits to us a couple days later. I have never had that experience before but I did buy one. I was very happy with it once I got it. It was a little more than I expected to pay but still cheaper than buying one off the rack here in the states.

On Sunday afternoon, we went to the Yoido Full Gospel Church. It is the largest church in the world with 750,000 members. Hard to even comprehend. We went to their "youth service" which had at least 10,000 people. It was fanastic.

Interestingly they did a lot of "American Praise and worship music and it reminded me a lot of our experience in London at Holy Trinity Brompton. That means that church does not need to be complicated but simple and can be replicated. I was surprized how much Americanized it was. We sang along to the worship in English while they sang it in Korean. It was definately the best music I had heard in a long time. The preaching was loud and heated but for me hard to follow. I connected more with the preaching of my collegues than that of the church. But I give those guys credit, they were dancing in worship and had more energy than most of us combined.





Another Aaron video to give you the feel. Thanks Aaron for all your work.












The ride home was forever. It was 12 hours from Seoul to Atlanta. I was advised to stay up and not sleep so the jet lag wouldn't be so bad. I watched movies, lots of movies, more movies than I have in months. Once we got to Atlanta, our flight was cancelled and we waited for hours. Aaron and I decided to get a direct flight to Tri City airport in Tennessee to meet up with our families. This was a comedy of errors. It was supposed to leave at 3:45pm but after some Delta "problems", we left at 7:45pm. Yes that is right. 7:45.
We did notice in killing time that not many people smile in airports. They are either too tired, too cool, or too disinterested.
This is us praying to go home and go to sleep.

Once we finally arrived at TriCity Airport, we had hoped to have our families come out and greet us. Instead they weren't there and we were not thrilled. We were more disappointed. Our luggage was in KY so we had to buy new clothes for Easter and to make it about 5 days.
But we were so glad to be back in America. It was a good experience but I'm done traveling for a while.

No comments: