Monday, June 25, 2007

My First Week Back in the Saddle

It has been a while since my last entry, partly because no internet but mostly because of my first week in my new position at First UMC Morristown. It has been a whirlwind week. Installation service last Sunday, Went to staff meeting which I planned to be at church 3 hours and was there six, Wednesday and Thursday meeting people, learning the ropes (and how to get around in the building), Sunday (yesterday) preaching 3 services. It has been busy. Things don't slow down this week. Vacation Bible School, meetings about reorganizing the church, expanding the nartex, etc.

Overall it has been fun. Yesterday was the first time I preached three times in a row. Must say it wasn't as difficult as I had been told but yet I also came home after lunch and took a nap. I really missed preaching, leading, being a pastor to people. The most difficult thing so far is getting to know people's names and earning their trust. In my last church of 120 people, I learned their names more quickly than I thought. This is about 4-5x the number of people so it will take longer. I am kind of envious of my friends Aaron and Bryan who went back to their church where everybody knew them and vice versa because they didn't have such a learning curve of learning people, a church, and a community. Yet talking to them I realize they have felt swamped as well.

Today we go look at the house again to get measurements to update the floors and the carpets. We are scheduled to close on July 16th and hope to begin painting and updating that day so we can get in as soon as possible. Kate is with me this week in Morristown in the House a member of the church is letting us use. The kids had fun in it with the open rooms. There are horses in the backyard because it is connected to a farm. I would like to update things with pictures but my downloading cords that connect the camara to the computer are in a box somewhere. I look forward to destroying every box and getting settled soon.

I hope to update 2-3 times a week so I will do my best to keep up with that. Have a good week.

No comments: