Friday, May 11, 2007

One Thing I Learned in the Beeson Program

There were many things I learned here, things which most of us know but things that are good when they are articulated. Things like the value of listening, listening to each other, creating space to listen to God, to listen to scripture. I learned the importance of ethos; that your character is just as important as what you say. Without character you have nothing to stand on. I learned that leaders know roughly where they are going. They don't have it all figured out but they know what direction they are headed and often work out the details with people they trust. I have the importance of creating an atmosphere or enviroment in order for life change to occur; an atmosphere of belonging, acceptance, accountability, encouragement and love.

One thing which hit home to me came across in an article written by Craig Groeshel, pastor of LifeChurch.tv in Oklahoma. The article is titled "Full time Pastor but only Part - Time follower of Jesus". He shared how early on in life he learned to please people, please his parents. As a teenager when he became a follower of Jesus, he learned how to put up a front, of trying to impress or please people. As a young pastor, he perfected putting up a front. This was actually encouraged in his seminary coursework. He told himself the lie "Keep your guard up. Don't let them know the real you. You're a pastor now. Don't make yourself vulnerable".

One Sunday later on in his ministry, he went up to preach and just couldn't do it. He got through the sermon but he realized he hadn't prayed at all. not that day, not that week. He realized he was just a regular guy, insecure but whose life has been touched by God.

That week he prayed like he hadn't in months. He went to the pulpit that next Sunday with nothing wrote out, only what was in his heart for the week. He began with the words, "My relationship with God is not what it should be. I've confessed to God and now I'm going to confess to you." He said you could hear a pin drop. This was the biggest public risk he had ever made. He made himself known. And God made himself known too. Craig invited others to join him at the altar to repent of their sin. He then made the commitment of no posing. No playing games, to be who he was or nothing at all.

I too have learned how to pose. Being a "religious professional" is dangerous to your soul. David Seamands used to say that once you become a minister, your chances of getting into heaven drop 50%. At this point in my life, I have learned to be myself, to be an ordinary guy who God has called to simply be a witness for him. Wearing special clothes or using special words doesn't matter. What matters is how sincerely and correctly I am living out my faith.

A few months ago when I went out to California, I heard Neil Cole say, "I want to lower the bar on doing church and raise the bar of what it means to be a disciple." That sentence resonates with me. Getting dressed up or singing certain kinds of music is not what it means to be a Christian. Being a disciple of Jesus means having a life touched by God's grace, seeking to live and embody the teachings of Jesus, and living a life will impact others naturally. I have determined to be my true self, the person God created me to be and is making me to be. It recognizes that I have quite a ways to go before my life is "Hidden with Christ in God" (Col. 3:3). But I am actively seeking to be on the way. I hope you are too.

1 comment:

Aaron said...

Scott,
Excellent summation of the year. Thanks for posting.