Friday, August 04, 2006

Dissertation Proposal: A Plan for Multiplying Disciples in the Local Church

While this year is busy with coursework that is required for the Doctor of Ministry Degree, I also have to write three chapters of my dissertation by March 26th (to be exact) and have approval by the faculty. So in addition to my work, I will be gathering data and refining the topic of my dissertation.

I have always felt discipling people is one of my strengths and passions therefore, I want to learn how to do it more effectively for the rest of my life. The task of the church as identified by Jesus is to go and make disciples. The orginial disciples made disciples who made disciples. While most churches would agree this is the business they are in, most are not doing it effectively. In my experience, churches try to get people to come to programs or offer a multitude of choices (like going to Wendy's) and hope that somehow disciples are made. In addition, the expectations for most of church life is so low that it is harder to join a fraternity at a college than join the church. Therefore I want to identify what a disciple is and what practices disciples engage in.

Jesus had at least four expectations of what a disciples was. A disciple is fully committed, is obedient, loves fellow disciples, and bears fruit by abiding. Let’s look at each one of these in detail:
1. Fully Committed - In Luke 14:26-27 Jesus said, “If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters – yes, even his own life – he cannot be my disciple. And anyone who does not carry his cross and follow me cannot be my disciples.” He goes on in 14:33, “In the same way, any of you who does not give up everything he has cannot be my disciple.”
Was Jesus teaching us here to hate those closest to us? No, he was simply stating that there is nothing else in life that we can have a greater loyalty to than him. We must be fully committed. Between these statements he tells two stories of people who failed to think ahead and count the cost and therefore were a laughingstock. Jesus wants followers who are fully committed to him.
How many people who call themselves Christ-followers or Christians can measure up to this complete commitment to him? We cannot become this on our own but need to depend on the grace of God to do it for us. Yet, this is one of the standards of those whom Christ called his disciples.

2. Obedience – Jesus said to the Jews who believed in him in John 8:31, “If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples.” The context of the passage reveals Jesus was speaking to the Jews and Pharisees and many were beginning to put their faith in him. Did Jesus accept them? No, it says, “to the Jews who had believed in him.” That means Jesus raised the bar. It wasn’t just enough to believe, you must obey his teaching. In John 14:21a Jesus put it this way, “Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me.”
Love is shown through obedience. If I say I love my wife but don’t serve her, you need to question my degree of self-giving love. Jesus disciples don’t live whatever way they want. They conform their lives to the teaching of their master. Notice this theme of obedience was present in the great commission. Once disciples began and were baptized, they were instructed to obey everything that Jesus commanded (Matt 28:19). Not some things but everything. If we aren’t growing in obedience and conformity to the master, than we have to question our spiritual maturity.
3. Love Other Disciples – In his final meal with his disciples after Judas had left, Jesus said to them in John 13:34-35, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”
A primary characteristic of disciples is their love for one another. We see this at work in the early church in Acts two and four. In fact the argument could be made that it was precisely because of their love for one another that the church grew daily (Acts 2:47). Therefore disciples of Jesus are growing in love towards each other.
The characteristic of this love is not a mushy, sentimental love but a self-giving love. The Greek word used for love in John 13:34-35 is agape. Self-giving, self-sacrificing love is love that wishes and hopes for the best for the other. This is the kind of love God has for us. In other words, disciples of Jesus Christ are to be God’s love to each other. Does this describe the fellowship of most churches? Unfortunately not. That is why the small group movement endeavors to recapture this kind of love of the early Christians had.

4. Bear Fruit by Abiding - The challenge of the spiritual life is to abide (or remain) in Christ. Fruit grows naturally, organically; not mechanically. As we are rooted in Jesus Christ, he promises that we “will bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.” Disciples bear fruit. The fruit of a disciple’s life, life at home, friendships, workplace, etc. will be self-evident. Christians will have a positive influence in their world. This does not mean that all will work out for their benefit but people can tell they make a difference.
If making disciples is our primary task as Christians and Christian leaders, we need to develop a process for leading people to Christ and helping them grow as true disciples of Jesus Christ. According to Barna’s research 95% of born again believers believe their church encourages spiritual growth but only half felt that discipleship is one of the two or three highest priorities of their church (Barna, 46). That is why for my dissertation I am studying how the most effective churches make disciples of Jesus Christ regardless of denominational affiliation and how their principles can help me disciple people in my local congregation.

While the vision for Christian discipleship is now more clear; people today need some handles, some practical habits or exercises into how to become that kind of person. The best example I have seen fleshed out in terms of practical habits disciples maintain is H.A.B.I.T.S. from Saddleback Church youth ministry. I have adapted the acronym to best fit what I believe about Discipleship:

H. – Have a daily quiet time with God. This time with God includes Bible reading and prayer. It may also include other input such as Christian writers but the primary objective is to abide with Christ; to have intimacy with God.

A – Accountability with a small group. Every believer needs to be involved not only in worship with a large group but in a small group as well. Here you are encouraged to flesh out your faith, to know and be known, and to be the hands and feet of Jesus to one another and your world.

B – Bible Memorization. We live in an age of biblical illiteracy. We need to intentionally know the Word of God. Psalm 119:11 says, “I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.” Knowing God’s Word gives you spiritual authority and protects us from error. Individuals or groups can engage in this. I need to identify key scriptures for folks to memorize.

I – Involvement with the Body. This involvement includes regular attendance at corporate worship. Coming to church should not be dependant upon what is on TV or what the weather is like. The church is “your” church, not “the” church.

T – Tithing. God expects us to give 10% of our income back to him to support his work in the world. We put our money where our mouth is. In addition in Malachi 3:10, God identifies tithing as a way of returning to him. He promises us to bless us when we give. When we don’t we disobey the Lord.

S – Serving. Each believer needs to find a place to serve in the body. We believe in every member ministry and the clergy’s job is to help you find your gifts and place in ministry. That can only be accomplished by taking imitative to find your gifts and try different areas of service to you find a place that fits you.

A final thought about discipleship not included in HABITS is Multiplication. Disciples seek to multiply disciples in and throughout the world. This is my beginning attempts to flesh out what and how discipleship is lived out. Feel free to give me your insights.

No comments: