Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Montgomery Day One

Today begins our week at Frazier Memorial Church. Frazier is one of the Flagship churches of the United Methodist Church. It has the largest Sunday School of all the UMC churches in America. It is led by John Ed Mathison. He and this church are known for lay ministry. In other words, every member is encouraged to have a ministry. In fact, I was told that 90% of attenders at Frazier are engaged in ministry of some kind.

This view is from the inside of the church leading to their kids area. It has a ship, a playground, and a theme of Aqua Zone. It is very creative and welcoming.


We had lunch with John Ed today. I was so impressed. He is 68 and going strong. What struck me most was he seemed like a pastor who actually cared about people. I don't think he saw himself as a CEO type pastor, yet certainly he is a top leader. He is very approachable and a servant. He even cleaned up our trash.


We talked about the future of his church as he transitions it to another leader. This is sensitive in Methodist circles and needs to be handled with care. In 2 years or so, he will retire from full-time active ministry.

A huge encouragement today came from what they are rolling out this Sunday. Their discipleship pastor has encouraged the church to engage in Life Transformation Groups. These groups (LTG's) are what I am doing my dissertation on and plan on impelmenting in my next setting. They are actually debuting and explaning them this Sunday! WOW! I was so encouraged to see such a pace setting church do something that I am looking to do and assures me I am on the right track. I talked with Shane, their discipleship pastor, and hope to gain more ideas for my dissertation and applying it to my next setting.

There are about 250 people at the conference, led and hosted by Dale and Margie Galloway. It meets in the place they do contemporary worship.

This is the traditional sanctuary. Perhaps you have seen the service on TV sometime.

Of course, I had to get my picture at the pulpit.
Tomorrow we have teaching by Jim Garlow from Skyline Wesleyan Church in San Diego CA and Mike Foss.

No comments: