Saturday, March 31, 2007

Can't sleep in Korea

it is 4:16am in Korea, 3:16pm East Coast time. I can't sleep. I am at the hotel computer trying to kill some time so I can go to sleep. I have been doing well with the time change so far. I tend to get groggy around 3pm but keep going. Today it is no luck.

One of the thing that has struck me is the commitment of the pastors here to pray. To be a pastor here you must pray early every day. Many of the associate pastors lead prayer at 5 and 6am. They have two services. The sr. Pastor from Kwang Lim church was leading Friday night prayer from 8pm-12:30am. People wonder why the churches are big here in Korea. One major reason I believe is the commitment to pray.

The pastors here work very hard. The only day off they get is Monday. They average 40 visits per week and call people on Saturdays. I don't know many pastors who do this in America. A home visit is different than that of the states. In the states they tend to be more social visits. In Korea, they visit by praying, reading scripture, often a brief sermon by the pastor, and collecting the offering. I wonder what a typical home visit would look like in America if we adapted some of these principles. Frankly, I felt a little uncomfortable with how they did it and would not be readily transferrable to the states. Yet, How could we make home visits a little more spiritual in nature? I must also say that the size of the church impacts these visits. If you only see your pastor once a year for a visit, it is a bigger deal.

This morning I was praying in my bed. I pray that I come back from this trip not the same as when I came. I have heard of several pastors who have had great experiences with God here. Part of me, if I am honest want a deeper experience with God too. I want to love God and feel his presence with me more than I currently am. I want that day I will always remember. Yet I also know the danger of seeking an experience. God has already revealed himself to me in Jesus Christ and what could be better than that. The theme of the Asbury Lent Devotions this year is to be hidden with Christ in God. That is my prayer.

No comments: