Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Dissertation is Close and So is Cali!

Things are going well on the dissertation. It has really progressed and I hope to have the first draft done by the end of the day. Let me rephrase that. I will have the first draft done by the end of the day.

Kate and I leave tomorrow for San Jose California. We are not going to the sweet sixteen but a church conference on the Organic Church. This conference is what they call a greenhouse weekend, a immersion experience of what the house church movement is about. You can find out about this network by clicking here and here.

This movement beleives that too many churches are program driven as opposed to relationship driven. Statistics also indicate the most people who get involved in a church and find Christ are in smaller churches, not bigger churches (Natural Church Development). This flies in the face of the large church or mega church movement. In fact, many of the large churches are finding that people want that small church feel but large church resources so they have intentionally created multiple services of smaller crowds (ie. 200) rather than large stadiums for 2000.

This weekend will give me exposure to this movement that is appealing in many ways and also help me with my dissertation since their smallest group in this movement is a Life Transformation Group or LTG. They are groups of 2-3 people who meet for accountability, scriptural truth and prayer for those who need Jesus. In fact, Frazier Memorial UMC, whom we visited a month ago, is implementing these groups in their church. Read a broad sketch about them by clicking here.

Kate, Pierson and I are going and will get to see my cousin Faith who is recently married. I haven't seen her in a long time. We will be back on Monday. Check out my blog on Tuesday and I will update on the weekend. Until then, may God's richest blessings be upon you this day.

No comments: