Thursday, March 08, 2007

I'm Still Alive!

It has been a while since my last post. This month is getting kind of hectic. My next wednesday I need to have ch. 1 and 2 of my dissertation done and completed. I have spent the majority of my time this week trying to get that done. I have completed my first draft (58 pages) yesterday and sent it to my advisors to get their input. I'm sure they will give me areas to fill in, which will be next week.

I got to preach a sermon for preaching class to day. It was called "What we Really Need" from Matthew 5:17-20. It talked about the balence between the law (OT) and grace (NT). Basically I said that God is interested in our behavior but he is more interested in our hearts. He wants us to obey more than the letter of the law, but the spirit of the law. It felt good preaching. It has been some time since I have and I am not in a rythum of preaching anymore like I was before I came here. I put more into one sermon that I did before and so the sermon here "Counts" more in terms of effort. The other BP's Nolan and Trav. preached good on murder and lust, fun subjects. We are preaching through the Sermon on the Mount.

Keep Kate and I in your prayers as we seek where God is leading us next.

Dr. Kalas preached a sermon today on praying for the people no one prays about. In that Dr. Kalas style, he made a compelling case to pray not only for the people whose names we know but also the names we don't know. That heart for unloved people is something I want to have more in my life.

On a personal note, Kate's mom and dad are visiting this weekend to see the kids in a program on Saturday. It should be a fun time of visiting.

1 comment:

Todd said...

I have a friend who died about a year and a half ago named Dwight Ozard. Dwight was the editor for Prism magazine (Evangelicals for Social Action's mag) and a one time exec for Habitat for Humanity. Anyway, Dwight died from a nasty form of bone marrow cancer that he fought with for years. He blogged about and journaled through his cancer. At the end of each email or entry, Dwight would remind his friends to "pray for those whom no one prays for." It left an indelible mark on me and I've been praying that with the kids lately. Reluctantly, I've been inviting God to actually put us in the lives of those folks. I need to be careful what I pray for I think....

Do well with all your writing Scott!

Todd