Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Four Sermons

Have you ever heard four sermons in a row? I definately feel like I have been to church today. Our preaching class had four preachers from 8:30-11:30am. I felt whipped and ready to call it a day by 11:30am! On top of that, it is 70-75 and sunny outside. After a little break, some Indian food, I'm feeling better.

The sermons today were good. Alicia preached on making oaths from the Sermon on the Mount. The basic point was every word you say should be like you are under oath. You should live your life as if you are on the witness stand. Can people trust our words? Such a high standard of living.

Bryan preached on turning the other cheek. It was a home run in terms of sermons. He said that life is like a orange extension cord, all tangled up and hard to straighten out. We beleive that we should turn the other cheek in principle but not in real life. He shared a story about being harrassed by a bullly in 1st grade that had me laugh so hard tears came to my eyes. Yet right after that, he set me up for his point. It was like a parable. Sorry, but you had to be there.

Jason preaching on loving your enemies and praying for those who persecute you. We are to live up to the standard of Christ who modeled this quality by his life and death on the cross. Jason today reminded me of Joel Osteen in terms of his winsome spirit. It makes me believe and want to listen to what he has to say.

Lastly, Scott Wright, a Non-resident Beeson pastor, preached about living your first life now. He referred us to www.secondlife.com. It is a website, digital game where people can life another life over the internet. For a monthly fee, you can buy food, a house, clothes, design who you want to be. There are 4.6 Million residents and 1.4 Million was spent in the last 24 hours! I wonder how many people have time for there second life when I barely have time for my first life!

Tomorrow we finish our dissertation class and must have first draft of ch 1 and 2. I met with my mentor this morning and will in an hour to make adjustments. He said I was in good shape and on the right track. Much work to get to. Will write ASAP.

No comments: